Thursday, June 28, 2007

Working Out



This is an old picture from two weeks ago (when Trish was still wearing the neck brace). She is with Jason, her Occupational Therapist, who also sees her twice each day. As you can see, Jason is helping Trish improve her upper body strength so she can better handle all her daily tasks.

It is really amazing the strength that is required to do every day things when you have no help from your abdominal muscles or your legs. But being an athlete really helps, and Trish has taken to her routine with real dedication.

Both Jason and Melissa accompanied Trish & Scott to their home yesterday to evaluate the changes required to improve access. While much of their home will work well, they will need to make two major and rather costly adjustments.

First, they will need to install a stair lift that will allow Trish to move up and down the stairs between the first and second floors. This will be a major investment, but will enable Trish to use the upstairs bedrooms and bath. Next, they will need to remodel their bathroom to provide access to the shower. Trish & Scott hope to use the generous donations they have received toward the cost of these projects.

Again, Trish & Scott both want to thank everyone for their wonderful support through this ordeal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been keeping up with your dad's diary and it is very exciting to hear of your progress. There is not a day go by that I don't think of you! I will continue to pray for you and your family. Just a little tidbit of information. My husband, Roger, was ran over on a construction site by a ten wheeler dump truck. (In 1985) He was also paralyzed with a number of other problems and I want you to know he is a walking and talking miracle! He is a great example of what time and positive attitude can do. He went through similiar therapy, I'm sure. I hope this is an inspiration to you to look to the future! If you ever want to talk to him, I could ask him to come see you or e-mail you. Also, my parents have a chairlift, that Roger installed, in their house and it is, with out a doubt, the most wonderful thing in the home for my dad. He has back problems and had a broken hip. He gets around with a walker and this has given him the use of the upstairs in his house. Just some food for thought! I just wanted to share some good news. I look forward to seeing you soon. Let me hear from you when you can. Love you,
My email address is pjeischen at yahoo.com
Paula Eischen

Laura said...

Hi Trish,
Love the pictures, they somehow make me feel closer to you. My family continues to pray for you daily. You keep up the hard work and dedication, I know it will pay off.
Love, Laura